Important Definitions under Madrid Protocol
The Madrid Protocol along with the Madrid Agreement, gives the legal basis to the Madrid System which is the primary method of international registration of trademarks in multiple Jurisdictions. Administered by the WIPO, the Madrid Protocol allows the trademark owners of its contracting parties to seek protection of their trademarks in multiple countries by filing a single application. Moreover, the Madrid Protocol also allows such applications to be filed in a single language and grants protection to the trademarks in multiple countries upon the payment of a single fee.
For brands filing an international application under Madrid Protocol can be seen as a cost-effective way of getting an international trademark protection.
Important Definitions under Madrid ProtocolBelow mentioned are certain important definitions under Madrid Protocol:
- Meaning of Basic application under Madrid Protocol – “Basic application” means an application for the registration of a trademark pending before the Registrar of Trade Marks which is used as a basis for applying for an international registration
- Meaning of Basic registration under Madrid Protocol – “Basic registration” means the registration of a trade mark before the Registrar of Trade Marks which is used as a basis for applying for an international registration
- Meaning of International registration under Madrid Protocol – “International registration” means the registration of a trade mark with the International Bureau of the WIPO, done under the Madrid Protocol
- Meaning of IAOI number under Madrid Protocol – An IAOI number is the Application under Madrid Protocol / International Application number which is generated by the IPO, India upon successful receipt of the Application under Madrid Protocol / International Application
- Meaning of IRDI under Madrid Protocol – “IRDI” means an “International Registration Designating India”, it is a unique number allotted by the Trade Marks Registry to every International Registration in which India has been designated
- Meaning of “designation” under Madrid Protocol – A “designation” means an indication (by ticking a box), in the international trademark application form, of one or more Contracting Parties where it is intended to apply for protection of a mark.
- Meaning of “Office of Origin” under Madrid Protocol – An Office of Origin is the trademark office of the Contracting Party with which the applicant for international registration has the necessary connection (through establishment, domicile or nationality) to be entitled to file an Application under Madrid Protocol / International Application.
- Meaning of Basic Application or Registration mean while filing an application under Madrid Protocol – Basic Application or Registration means the application or registration which is pending or is registered with the Office of Origin, and which is used as the basis of Application under Madrid Protocol / International Application.
Only the specification of goods and services which is registered with the Office of Origin can be filed/ registered in the application under Madrid Protocol / International Application/ registration.Regulatory body under Madrid Protocol
International Bureau of World Intellectual Property Organization (IB of WIPO)
To know more about Madrid Protocol in India click here
For more information on filing an international application under Madrid Protocol, please write to us at: email@example.com.