It is mandatory under Food Safety and Standards Act, 2006 to obtain a license/registration to carry out any business related to food like manufacturer, sale, storage or distribution etc.
Obtain A License Under Food Safety And Standards Act, 2006,
Food safety and standard authority of India license can be obtained by registering online at www.foodlicensing.FSSAI.gov.in. Detailed information has been provided on this website.
Categories Of Registration Or Licenses To Be Applied For Under Food Safety And Standards Act, 2006
To run a food business in India it is important to get registration/ license according to food safety and standards act, 2006. The registration can be obtained one of three categories:
- Central license: this is when the license has to be obtained from central government. This category includes food business operators like 100% export-oriented units, large manufacturers, importers, food business operators in central government agencies, airport, seaport, etc.
- State license: this is when the license has to be obtained from state government. This category includes food business operators like small to medium sized manufacturing units, storage, transporters, retailers, marketers, distributors, etc.
- Registration: food business operators who are petty food manufacturers can obtain registration under this scheme from the state government by submitting minimal documents.
The criteria for registration under food safety and standards act, 2006
- Registrations are granted to small or petty fbos whose annual turn-over does not exceed INR 12 lakhs.
- Registrations are granted by the registering authority who may be designated officer/ food safety officer or any official in panchayat, municipal corporation or any other local body or panchayat in an area, notified by the state food safety commissioner.
- Documents required while applying for a registration:-
- Application in schedule-1
- Fees @INR 100/- per annum
- Address proof (government documents like voter id card)
- Photograph of applicant
- Registration card should be exhibited at a prominent place of business premise.
FSSAI License Number And Logo On The Label Of Food Products
According to notification no. 4/15015/30/2011 dated June 7, 2013 of FSSAI, FSSAI logo and license number shall be displayed on the label of the food package in contrast colour to the background.
For imported products- the importer shall display FSSAI logo and license number along with the name and address of the importer.
Reportedly, the FSSAI license and logo number imparts the assurance among consumers that the food article has passed quality checks and is fit for human consumption.
For more information on FSSAI License In India, please write to us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
To know more about Food Law, FSS Act & FSSAI in India click here