The following are the benefits or advantages of a registered trademark over an unregistered trademark in India-
- Only a registered proprietor has the legal right to use the ┬« symbol on its Trademark, which forms the prestige of the brand.
- Statutory right over the trademark.
- Exclusive right to lease, license or assignment of the trademark.
- Suit for infringement can be filed only by a registered proprietor. Unregistered proprietor can file passing off suit only against an infringer.
- Right to seek civil, criminal and administrative remedies.
- Right to seek both civil and criminal penalties against counterfeiters.
- Constructive notice of ownership of the Trademark.