A design patent application must include the following elements:
- Preamble, stating name of the applicant, title of the design*, and a brief description of the nature and intended use of the article in which the design is embodied;
- Cross-reference to related applications (unless included in the application data sheet).
- Statement regarding federally sponsored research or development.
- Description of the figure(s) of the drawing (No description, other than a reference to the drawing, is ordinarily required);
- Feature description;
- A single claim (More than one claim is not permitted);
- Drawings or photographs;
- Executed oath or declaration.
*The title of the design must designate particular article.