The transportation sector has seen a vast improvement over the passage of years. It has eased the transport of goods and services over vast distances. Various modes of transport including motor-bikes, cars, trucks, trains, ships, airplanes, have made human life simpler. While technology has played its part in smoothening the mobility of people and goods, the Government has made contributions to make improve the public transportation facilities.
Transportation may be divided into various levels including international, domestic in the form of interstate or intra-state travel. Local commutation in the form of busses, cabs, metros, etc. play a very essential role in helping the manpower reach the organizations thereby benefiting the economic growth, aiding the students reach educational institutions, assisting in the development of human resource for the country, delivery of goods and comforting the tourists visiting a particular destination.
Together we move forward …
Although, travel constitutes an indispensable component of human routine, increased vehicles have caused serious disturbances on various environmental indices including pollution levels, noise disturbance, traffic jams, etc. Ensuring better fleet utilization by allowing more passengers and goods to travel in the same vehicle is possible by adoption of shared mobility. Multiple transportation needs required to fulfilled by common routes can be best met through this facilitation.
Types of shared mobility
Some of the types of shared mobility include the following:
- Mass transit includes high-capacity modes such as buses, metros, ferries and trains that are typically operated by public agencies or the private sector for the public.
- Ride-sourcing refers to on-demand services that link riders to for-hire drivers who are using their own vehicles as commercial vehicles.
- Ride-splitting whereby many transportation network companies also offer shared options, such as UberPOOL and Ola Share.
- Vehicle-pooling in which trips are shared by travellers based on their terms with one another.
- Courier network services are for-hire freight delivery, in which consumers can hire freight services to move goods either intra-or inter-city.
Shared mobility offers multiple benefits, some of which are listed below:
- Lowering of transportation cost;
- Reduction on the environmental burden;
- Optimum utilization of the transport vehicle;
- Minimizing fuel consumption and emissions;
With a view to encourage shared mobility in India and transportation being a subject matter of State jurisdiction, the Government is in the process of introduction of a model legislation for States to regulate and monitor the same. A few key measures being considered to this account are stated below:
- Levying of congestion charges during peak time;
- Compensation to vehicle sharing travellers;
- Subsidies for disutility of waiting and longer travel time while sharing vehicles;
- Closing of certain roads for private vehicles on some days;
- Fee for using particular roads;
- Reducing pollution levels;
- Incentives for use of dedicated lanes.
The Government has been facing the challenges posed by the transportation sector with the increase in the number of vehicles. Strategizing policies and schemes working towards development of a country relying environment friendly well-established transportation network, the Government aims to elevate the standards of living in India.
For more information please write to us at : email@example.com