Recent amendments in the Import Policy from BIS
The Ministry of Commerce & Industry vide its notification no. 26/ 2015-2020, has made amendments in the Import policy. As per the latest amendments toys imported in India have to certified mandatorily from the Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS).
The BIS is a government organization that lays down the standards, policies and makes certifications.
The certifications to be obtained as per the previous policy were as follows:
Import of toys all under EXIM codes – 95030010, 95030020, 95030030 and 95030090 i.e., Tricycles, scooters, pedal cars and similar wheeled toys; dolls’ carriages; dolls; other toys; reduced-size, etc. were permitted freely when accompanied with the following documents / certifications:
- ASTM F963 – Certification given by the United States
- ISO 8124 – Toy safety standards
- IS 9873 – Certification laid down by the Bureau of Indian standards (BIS)
- EN 71 – European certification
Apart from the above, a certificate of conformance from the manufacturer was required to be submitted stating that the sample of the toys being imported have been tested by an independent laboratory which is accredited by the International Laboratory Accreditation Corporation (ILAC) Mutual recognition arrangement and are found to meet the above indicated specifications.
BIS for Imported Toys is Mandatory
However, as per the amended policy, now the following certifications are required to be obtained for imported toys under EXIM codes 95030010, 95030020, 95030030 and 95030090 to be supported with the following certifications:
- A certificate that the toys being imported conform to the standards prescribed by Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS) (IS: 9873)
- Part 1 – Safety aspects related to mechanical and physical properties.
- Part 2 – Flammability of toys
- Part 3 – Migration of certain elements
- Part 4 – Swings, sliders and similar indoor and outdoor toys for domestic use by families,
- Part 7 – Test methods for finger prints
- Part 9 – Certain phthalates esters in toys and children’s products.
- Certification under IS: 15644 i.e., safety of electronic toys
- Certificate from the manufacturer that the toys being imported are certified at the NABLS labs and comply with the specification as indicated by the Bureau of Indian Standards.
Read more about BIS certifications: