Trademark Registration Myanmar
The second phase i.e. Grand Opening Period will begin at the end of the initial soft opening period i.e. April 1, 2021, and will see the launch of the new legal framework. Registration under the Grand Opening Period will as per the following stages:
- Filing of Application with Myanmar Department of Intellectual Property
- Formal Examination at the Office.
- Publication in the official journal upon examination.
- Upon publication, the mark will be open to third party opposition but thus far the opposition period has not been defined by the government
- In case of opposition is filed, the opposition proceeding then will take place in an IP court
- The initial and subsequent term of registration would be 10 years from the date of application
- The renewal request can be filed six (06) months before the expiry of the trademark
The Trademark Law provides for trademark assignment under Section 42. The provision states that the person for the time being entered in the Register as a proprietor of a trademark shall, subject to the provisions of this Act and to any rights appearing from the Register to be vested in any other person, have the power to assign the trademark and to give effectual receipts for any consideration for such assignment.
For more information on trademark registration in Myanmar please click here email@example.com