The Ministry of Commerce of Myanmar has issued a notification no. 63/ 2020 dated August 28, 2020 announcing that soft opening period for re-filing trademarks under the new law in Myanmar will commence from October 1, 2020. The new trademark law in Myanmar will operate in two phases as under:
1. Soft Opening Period (from October 1, 2020 to March 31, 2021)
2. Grand Opening (from April 1, 2021)
The ‘soft-opening period’, will commence for recognizing existing trademark registrations by allowing these registrations to be re-filed in order to maintain the protection of their trademarks under the new law on a first to file principle. The Ministry may periodically announce additional requirements or stipulations as the soft opening period progresses. No new trademark will be received for registration during this transition period.
Myanmar- Trademark Registration- Requirements
1. Owner’s name and address
2. Clear specimen of the proposed mark;
3. Classes and list of goods and/or services (identical to those already recorded with the Registrar of Deeds);
4. Claim of priority (if any) and its supporting documents;
5. Claim of colors of the mark;
6. A scanned copy of the recordation of the declaration of ownership or renewal the Registrar of Deeds;
7. If the trademark is already used in Myanmar, evidence of use and the first date of use.
Further, the official fee under the new law, including trademark application filing fees, shall be announced vide a separate notification by the Ministry before the soft opening period begins.