Last date: February 7th, 2020
The IPO (Intellectual Property Office) has invited applications for National IP Awards- 2020. The National IP Awards are conferred every year by the Office of Controller General of Patents, Designs and Trade Marks (CGPDTM), Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade (DPIIT), Ministry of Commerce and Industry, wherein they recognize and reward top achievers who have contributed towards strengthening the IP eco-system in India for IP creation, commercialization and enforcement.
The Public Notice and other relevant details can be accessed here.
Who can apply
- Police units
- Legal entities
Eligibility of Applicant for IP Award:
The Applicant should be an:
- An Individual or Legal Entity as provided under the respective IP Act.
- Applicant may be Indian Industry (micro, small, medium, large), both private and public sector, as well as firms and societies, registered in India; Indian subsidiary of a transnational corporation;
- Indian Academic institutions and R&D institutions registered as a legal entity in India; and individuals who have filed IP applications and/or have been granted/registered IPRs by the Indian Intellectual Property Office, during last 3 calendar years for being eligible for applying for National IP Awards.
- Top Indian MSME for Patents & Commercialization– An organization applying for award under the category “Top Indian MSME for Patents & Commercialization”, should be a standalone enterprise and it should state the details of patent applications filed / granted in its own name only.
- Top R&D Institution/Organization for Patents & Commercialization– For category “Top R&D Institution/Organization for Patents & Commercialization”, all R & D Institutions/Organizations, whether in public or private sector, are eligible.
- For all categories of applicants in Patents– the patents filed/granted in India (not necessarily first filing in India) shall be taken as main criteria and international filing will be secondary criteria.
Categories for National IP Awards
|S. no.||Categories||Ratio of Evaluation-Filing/Grant/Registration: Commercialization|
|1.||Top Indian Individual for Patents & Commercialization||
|2.||Top Indian Academic institution for Patents & Commercialization|
|3.||Top R & D institution/organisation for Patents & Commercialization|
|4.||Top Public Limited Company/Private Limited Company for Patents & Commercialization in India:
4(a) Manufacturing sector
|5.||Top Indian MSME and Commercialization
|6.||Top Start-up for IP and Commercialization||50:50|
|7.||Top Indian Company/ organization for Designs||50:50|
|8.||Top Indian Company for creating Brand in India and Abroad||
|9.||Top Individual or Organization for Best Facilitation of registration of GI and Promotion of registered GI in India|
|10.||Best Police Unit (District/Zone in a commissionarate) for enforcement of IP in India||Weightage of 20:25:25:30 for FIR filed: Convictions: Raids (Value of seized material in raids): Charge Sheets|
Broad Parameters of Selection
Performance of the Applicant in the last 3 calendar years will be taken into consideration.
The following parameters will be considered as relevant:
- Number of IPRs filed / granted / registered.
- Growth in IPR portfolio in the last three calendar years.
- Leveraging of IPRs for achieving commercial goals (manufacturing, licensing, launching of new products / processes associated with granted / registered IPRs , marketing / export etc.)
Cash prize of Rs. 1,00,000/-, Trophy and citation.
Note: An applicant, who was an awardee of National IP Award during any of the last two years i.e. 2018 and 2019, will not be eligible for the award in that category for this year.
How to Apply?
A step-by-step guide on How to Apply can be accessed here.
When will the Award be given?
The National IP Awards 2020 will be presented to the eligible awardees on April 26th, 2020 (World IP Day). The event will be organized in Delhi by the IPO in collaboration with Confederation of Indian Industry (CII).
The Information brochure, application form and other documents can be accessed at http://www.ipindia.nic.in/newsdetail.htm?652. The last date to send the completed application to this office is 7th February 2020.