Geographical Indication in India – Flowchart
The Geographical Indication Flowchart in India is presented below for a better understanding of the various steps involved in Geographical Indication filing, prosecution and registration in India.
The various stages involved in registration of a GI application in India comprises of:
- Filing the application for GI
- Preliminary scrutiny and examination of the GI application
- Communication of objections/ deficiencies in the GI Application to the applicant or his agent
- Filing of reply to the deficiencies within one month from the date of receipt of communication (deadline extendable by one month)
- Thereafter, the Examiner submits the application to Registrar for Examination
- Examination report is issued
- Reply to the examination report is to be filed by the applicant within 2 months from the date of receipt of examination report
- Acceptance of GI application by Registrar
- Publication of application in the GI Journal
- Filing of Opposition to the GI application within 3 months from the date of publication in the Journal (deadline extendable by one month)
- Counter statement to notice of opposition to be filed within 2 months
- Registration of GI after acceptance of GI application by Registrar
The List of registered GIs in India as released by the IPO can be accessed here.