The Ministry of Consumer Affairs, Food, and Public Distribution issued amendments in the Removal of Licensing Requirements, Stock Limits and Movement Restrictions on Specified Foodstuffs Order on July 19, 2021, which stated that:
“Pulses namely tur, masoor, urad, chana, for a period up to 31st October 2021, with the following stock limits for all States and Union Territories;
• Wholesaler: 500 MT (subject to the condition that there should not be more than 200 MT of one variety)
• Retailer: 5 MT
• Millers: Stock limits will be the last 6 months of production or 50% of annual installed capacity, whichever is higher”
However, the Centre has imposed stock limits on tur dal and urad dal to prevent hoarding and speculation, and also to improve affordability in a recent amendment dated June 02, 2023, in the Removal of Licensing Requirements, Stock Limits, and Movement Restrictions on Specified Foodstuffs Order which are mentioned below:
Stock restrictions for tur and urad have been established under this order for all States and Union territories.
Pulses namely tur and urad for a period up to October 31, 2023, with the following stock limits for all States and Union Territories:
• Wholesaler: 200 MT for each pulse item;
• Retailer: 5 MT for each pulse item;
• Big chain retailers: 5 MT for each pulse at each retail outlet and 200 MT at the depot for each pulse;
• Millers: Stock limits will last 3 months of production or 25% of annual installed capacity, whichever is higher;
Importers are not permitted to keep imported goods for more than 30 days from the date of customs clearance and shall declare the stocks position on the portal i.e., (https://fcainfoweb.nic.in/psp/) of the Department of Consumer Affairs and in case the stocks held by them are higher than the prescribed limits then they shall bring the same to the prescribed stock limits within 30 days of issue of this notification.
This order is applicable and effective from June 2, 2023.
Soumya Madnani, Intern at S.S. Rana & Co. has assisted in the research of this Article.