The Ministry of Consumer Affairs, Food, and Public Distribution vide its notification dated November 02, 2021, had notified the Legal Metrology (Packaged Commodities) Amendment Rules, 2021 as per which the following amendments were introduced and were to come into force from April 01, 2022–
- Packaged grouped together for retail sales must comply with each mandatory declaration.
- The unit price is to be declared on the package along with the MRP in Indian Rupees.
- Format prescribing the manner in which Unit price is to be declared on every package.
However, the aforementioned department vide its notification dated March 28, 2022, further amended the Legal Metrology (Packed Commodities) Rules, 2021. The said rules were to come into force on October 01, 2022, as per which the following amendments were to be effective-
- The unit sale price in rupees, rounded off to the nearest two decimal places, shall be declared on every pre-packaged commodity as follows:
- i) per gram where net quantity is less than one kilogram and per kilogram where net quantity is more than one kilogram;
- ii) per centimeter where net length is less than one meter and per meter where net length is more than one meter;
- iii) per milliliter where net volume is less than one liter and per liter where net volume is more than one liter;
- iv) per number or unit if any item is sold by number or unit:
Provided that for packages containing alcoholic beverages or spirituous liquor, the State Excise Laws and the rules made thereunder shall be applicable within the State in which it is manufactured.
Provided further that declaration of unit sale price is not required for the pre-packaged commodities in which retail sale price is equal to the unit sale price.
- The Second Schedule which specifies the quantities of commodities by weight, measure or number has been omitted.
- No prosecution will be initiated against the manufacturer or packer or importer of pre-packaged commodities for making a declaration with effect from April 01, 2022, in accordance with Legal Metrology (Packaged Commodities) Rules, 2021.
Legal Metrology and Current Scenario
The Ministry of Consumer Affairs, Food, and Public Distribution, now, vide its notification dated September 30, 2022, has notified the Legal Metrology (Packaged Commodities) Amendment Rules, 2022.
The said rule further amends Rule 1, sub-rule (2), for the figures, letters, and words- October 01, 2022, and substitutes the same with day 1st of December, 2022.
The aforementioned thus implies that the amendments as prescribed in the Legal Metrology (Packaged Commodities) Rules, 2021 shall now be effective from December 01, 2022.